Military Patches

 

Tiger portrait mug

Tiger portrait mug Image
Detail Image

11 oz mug

dreaded Tiger Tank (1942 to 1944) was the answer to the Wehrmacht's demand for a 45-ton tank. Officially designated Panzer 6, it had the largest gun of any tank in the war and first went into action during the Leningrad campaign in August of 1942. In 1943, a more advanced version of the Tiger Tank, the Tiger II or King Tiger, joined original Tigers on the battlefield. The Tiger was the first German tank to receive an animal name.

Machine Guns

The Tiger Tank carried two 7.92 MG-34 machine guns. The air-cooled MG-34 was first issued to German troops in 1935. It was designed as both a light squad and heavy service machine gun. In its heavy role as a tank-mounted gun, the MG-34 was belt-fed. Designed by the Mauser Wercke, the MG-34 fired from 800 to 900 rounds per minute and was considered both the primary infantry machine gun and the primary defensive tank and aircraft machine gun in the German military.

Main Gun

The main gun on the original Tiger Tank was an 88 mm anti-tank gun, which the Germans also used as a heavy anti-aircraft gun. The tank carried 84 rounds for the main gun. The main gun on the King Tiger was a more powerful 88 mm gun that fired armor-piercing rounds with a muzzle velocity of 1,200 meters-per-second. The King Tiger also carried 84 rounds for its main gun. The Tiger Tank's main gun had a longer range than any other tank in World War II.


The Drawbacks

suspension wheels system of the Tiger was susceptible to getting stuck in rocks and mud. During a cold Russian night, frozen mud could completely immobilize the tank, makeing it vulnerable to attack from the enemy in the morning. addition to this, its heavy weight and size limited speed and maneuverability and made it easy to see from enemy aircraft. The Tiger's limited range and huge appetite for fuel were also detrimental because of Germany's limited access to fuel in the waning days of the war.

Weight, Power and Armor

Tiger Tank weighed 55 tons and accommodated a five-man crew. It had a 100-km range and a top speed of 45 km/h, powered by a 12-cylinder Maybach engine. The chassis of the original Tiger Tank had 100 mm of frontal armor, 80 mm on it side superstructure and rear, 60 mm on the side hull and 25 mm on its top and bottom. Able to withstand rounds from a 75 mm artillery gun fired from a mere 50 meters, the tank quickly earned a reputation for near invincibility.

German tank crews nick named it the furniture van







Your Price:£5.00
3
1